By 1722 the church was in a bad condition, although it seems that it was then repaired. A new church was built of brick and stone in 1770. By the middle of the 19th century this church had become pretty shoddy, as well as being too small for the congregation. The ‘new’ church was designed by the Lancaster architect E. G. Paley. Its construction was slow, starting in 1863, and not being completed until 1872. This was due in large part to the speed which funds could be raised to complete it. The church was consecrated on 9th November 1872 by Rt Revd James Fraser, Bishop of Manchester.