Members of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society who visited the church on 16 September 1899. Colonel French speculated that the church's dedication to a Norman saint could be traced to the area's post-conquest history, with Roger de Poitou being appointed the first Earl of Lancaster and first lord of the manor of Bolton by his cousin William the Conqueror. French believed this suggested that a church had existed in Bradshaw at an early date. St. Maxentius lived much of his life in Poitou. Church The architectural style of the church is Decorated, and its windows have Geometric tracery. Its plan is cruciform, consisting of a long nave, transepts, a chancel, and a vestry. At the west end is a bellcote. The nave has a hammerbeam roof. The font is octagonal and is dated 1550. Above the partition of the north transept is a mosaic dating from the late 1950s, depicting the life of Saint Maxentius.