Widdowshins - That which is past is prologue - Widdowshins history

Village History

Saint Max's ChurchThe Church Tower
The tower dates from 1640 and is constructed in coursed rubble. It is in two stages with diagonal buttresses. At the summit is a cornice and a battlemented parapet with splayed merlons. On the east side of the tower is a pair of doors, and on the north side is a blocked two-light straight-headed window. The bell openings have round heads. The tower has been designated by English Heritage is Grade 2 listed. Originally the tower was ‘capped’, a capped tower in itself is a York symbol for the Templars, this is only one of man, many Masonic and Templar symbols which festoon the exterior and interior of the church.

page counter